Prof. Hussein A. Abbass
School of Engineering and Information Technology
University of New South Wales - Canberra - Australia
Email: h D abbass A adfa D edu D au
DP140102590: Challenging systems to discover vulnerabilities using computational red teaming
Australian Research Council - Discovery Scheme
- Hussein Abbass, UNSW-Canberra
Associated Research Fellows
- Dr. Jiangjun Tang
- Dr. George Leu
Associated Research Students
- Ms. Aya Hussein, Ph.D., On Going
- Ms. Marwa Hassan, M.Sc., Completed
Computational red teaming concerns the design of computational models to role play intelligent adversaries.
These adversaries who are determined to exploit a system rely on creative thinking to discover system-level
vulnerabilities by challenging system design, implementation or operations. This project closes a gap in the
risk assessment literature by designing automated computational red teaming methods to discover
vulnerabilities associated with intentional risks.
- Abbass H.A. (2015) Computational Red Teaming: Risk Analytics of Big-Data-to-Decisions Intelligent Systems, Springer International Publishing Switzerland. ISBN 978-3-319-08280-6(Hard Cover), 978-3-319-08281-3 (EBook), ISBN-10 3319082809, doi:10.1007/978-3-319-08281-3.
- Tang, J., Leu, G. and Abbass, H.A. (to appear)
Networking the Boids is More Robust Against Adversarial Learning, IEEE Transactions on Network Science and Engineering.
- Shir Li Wang, Kamran Shafi, Theam Foo Ng, Chris Lokan, Hussein A. Abbass (2017). Contrasting Human and Computational Intelligence Based Autonomous Behaviors in a Blue-Red Simulation Environment. IEEE Transactions on Emerging Topics in Computational Intelligence, 1, 27-40 doi:10.1109/tetci.2016.2641929
- Shafi K., Abbass H.A. (2017) A Survey of Learning Classifier Systems in Games, IEEE Computational Intelligence Magazine, 12, 42 – 55. doi:10.1109/MCI.2016.2627670.
- Leu, G. and Abbass, H.A. (2016) A Multi-Disciplinary Review of Knowledge Acquisition Methods: From Human to Autonomous Eliciting Agents, Knowledge-Based Systems, 105, 1-22, August. doi:10.1016/j.knosys.2016.02.012.
- Abbass H.A., Leu G., and Merrick K. (2016) A Review of Theoretical and Practical Challenges of Trusted Autonomy in Big Data, IEEE Access, 4, 2808 - 2830, doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2016.2571058. [Open Access Full Paper available for Download for Free]
- Hussein A. Abbass, Eleni Petraki, Kathryn Merrick, John Harvey, Michael Barlow (2016). Trusted Autonomy and Cognitive Cyber Symbiosis: Open Challenges. Cognitive Computation, 8, 385-408 doi:10.1007/s12559-015-9365-5
- Hussein Abbass, Garrison Greenwood, Eleni Petraki (2015). The N -Player Trust Game and its Replicator Dynamics. IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, 20, 470-474 doi:10.1109/tevc.2015.2484840
- Tang J., Petraki E., Abbass H.A. (2016) Shaping Influence and Influencing Shaping: A Computational Red Teaming Trust-based Swarm Intelligence Model. International Conference on Swarm Intelligence, Bali, Indonesia, Springer International Publishing. 9712: 14-23. [Awarded Best Paper]
- Leu, G., & Abbass, H. (2016). Computational Red Teaming in a Sudoku Solving Context: Neural Network Based Skill Representation and Acquisition. In Intelligent and Evolutionary Systems (pp. 319-332). Springer International Publishing.
- Eleni Petraki, Hussein A. Abbass (2015). On trust and influence: A computational red teaming game theoretic perspective. the 2014 Seventh IEEE Symposium on Computational Intelligence for Security and Defense Applications (CISDA) doi:10.1109/cisda.2014.7035644
- Leu, G., Tang, J., Abbass, H. (2014). On the role of working memory in trading-off skills and situation awareness in sudoku. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics), 8836, 571-578
- Jiangjun Tang, Hussein A. Abbass (2014). Behavioral learning of aircraft landing sequencing using a society of Probabilistic Finite state Machines. 2014 IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation (CEC) doi:10.1109/cec.2014.6900597
Invited Speaker: The Australian Conference on Artificial Life and Computational Intelligence, Trusted Autonomy: Challenges and Opportunities for Computational Intelligence, 31-Jan to 2-Feb, Melbourne, 2017
Innovation Month, Department of Industry, Innovation and Science, August, 2015. [Youtube] [Transcript]
- Invited Speaker: The Seventh IEEE Symposium on Computational Intelligence for Security and Defense Applications , December, 14-17, 2014, Hanoi Vietnam, Computational Red Teaming for Cognitive-Cyber Symbiosis.
- Invited Speaker: The 18th Asia Pacific Symposium on Intelligent and Evolutionary Systems, November, 10-12, 2014, Singapore, Real-time Computational Red Traming of Human Cognition using Encephalographic (EEG) Data.
- Invited Speaker: The Fourth International Neural Network Society Symposia Series , November, 7-9, 2014, Brunei, Next Generation Intelligent Systems: Observe-Project-Counteract Agent Architecture for Real-time Computational Red Teaming.
- Invited Lecture: Evolutionary Multi-objective Optimisation for Scenario Design and Real-time Optimisation, National University of Singapore, April 2014.
- Invited Seminar: Institute for Infocomm Research (IÂ²R), Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR), March 25, 2014, Singapore, Computational Red Teaming for Integrating the Air Traffic Controller Brain and the Automation Cycle.
- Invited Seminar: Rolls-Royce, March 14, 2014, Singapore, Computational Red Teaming for Future Automation Systems.